Friday, March 22, 2013

Lync Server 2013 Debugging Tools do not produce any output

The Problem

The Lync Server 2013 Debugging Tools that are installed separately have sparse output or not any output for debug logs for after you click "View Log Files" or "Analyze Log Files".

The easiest way you can verify this is by starting OCSLogger.exe and set a debug session for InboundRouting and set the "Level" to All and "Flags" to All Flags.

Start Logging and make a call from the PSTN in to your Lync Server 2013 system. When the call is completed hang up and click Stop Logging.

Click "View Log Files" and make sure "InboundRouting" is the only Log File selected. If you get a blank file then congratulations you came across the same problem I did.

The Fix!

The fix that was shared with me by those smarter than me :-) ...

Rename the default.tmx in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2013\Debugging Tools directory

You need to copy default.tmx from
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2013\Tracing
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2013\Debugging Tools

The file size of the default.tmx from the Tracing folder is approximately 18.9MB vs 5.57MB of the default.tmx that came with the debugging tools.

Start up OCSLogger.exe again after the procedure above and run the InboundRouting debug again. This time you should have output in the log file.

So far I have confirmed this impacts at least InboundRouting, OutboundRouting, SIPStack and S4. Being there is such a wide gap in size between the two files I seriously doubt these are the only areas affected.

Friday, March 1, 2013

Install-CsMirrorDatabase fails with SQL Service Domain Account in Internet-style format

Found an interesting gotcha with another Time2Market engineer today. When running the Install-CsMirrorDatabase command we ran into the following error.

“Mirroring cannot be setup unless SQL server service runs under a network service account, virtual account, local system account or a domain account.”

We knew the SQL Service account was a domain account already so I suggested a change from the format of "user at" to domain\user.

With that simple change the command ran successfully.